- Yield: 2 Servings
- 1 lb (450 g) mixed clams and mussels in the shell
- 3 oz (75 g) Chinese keys, thinly sliced
- 2.5 cm (1 in) piece of galangal, cut into 7–8 slices
- 1 long red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- a few sprigs of basil leaves, for garnish
How to Make It
- Scrub the clams and mussels and remove any hairy beards from the mussels. Discard any open mussels or clams and any that don’t close when tapped on the work surface. Wash them all in several changes of cold water until the water is clear, then put them in a large bowl, cover with cold water and soak for 30 minutes. This helps remove the sand.
- Put the clams and mussels, Chinese keys, galangal and chilli in a large saucepan or wok. Cover loosely and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, shaking the pan frequently. Add the fish sauce and sugar and toss together. Discard any unopened shells. Serve the clams and mussels in a large bowl, garnished with basil leaves.