- Yield: 4 Servings
TOMATO-RED PEPPER COMPOTE
- 2 red peppers
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 banana shallots, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 8 tomatoes concasse
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup white wine
- 0.33 cup tomato juice
- 1 oz parsley, chopped (about 3 Tbsp)
GOAT CHEESE RAVIOLI
- 4 oz soft, young goat cheese
- 5 tsp whipping cream
- 1 Lemon, julienned Skin of preserved
- 5 oz pasta dough
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cups duck fat
- 4 fillets sockeye salmon, 4 to 5 oz each
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 oz baby spinach
- 8 sprigs cress leaves, for garnish
How to Make It
Tomato and Red Pepper Compote
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Roll peppers in 2 tsp of the olive oil. Season with salt, then place in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes until the peppers are soft. Remove them from the oven and place in a bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rest for about 30 minutes. Remove the skin and seeds from the red pepper and roughly dice the flesh.
- In a small saute pan, heat the remaining olive oil on medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and sweat until soft, about 2 minutes, being careful not to burn the shallots. Add tomatoes concasse, red pepper flesh, thyme and bay leaf and cook gently for 2 to 3 minutes. Add wine, cook until nearly all of the liquid has evaporated, then add tomato juice and cook until all of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat, discard the thyme and bay leaf, season with salt and pepper, and add parsley. Goat Cheese Raioli
- In a small bowl, fold together goat cheese and cream, then fold in half of the lemon skin. Put this mixture into a piping bag with a ½ inch nozzle.
- Roll out pasta dough in two sheets about 4 inches wide and the thickness of a dime, or use the lowest setting on a pasta machine. Along the center line of one of the sheets, pipe the goat cheese mixture in twelve r-inch-diameter rounds about 1½ inches apart.
- In a small bowl, beat together the egg, egg yolk and a pinch of salt to make an egg wash. Brush the edges of the pasta and between the fillings with egg wash and cover with the second sheet of pasta. Press to seal the pasta dough between the fillings and along the edges and cut out individual ravioli.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter along with the water on low heat. Add the remaining preserved lemon skin. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Confit-Salmon
- In a large saute pan, heat duck fat no hotter than I50°Fuse a thermometer to confirm temperature. Gently place salmon into the fat and cook for 7 to 9 minutes, until salmon is firm but still somewhat translucent. It is important that the salmon be pink inside and not be leaking white protein. Remove the fish from the fat and drain on paper towels. Allow to rest for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a small saute pan on high heat. Add spinach and saute for 30 seconds.