This soup is light and restorative but with a deep savory flavor from the vegetable stock and tea. It’s perfect to make the day after a heavy meal or night out or when you are getting over a cold.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 green tea bags
- 2 cups thinly sliced button mushrooms
- 1 cup julienned canned bamboo shoots
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon hot chile sauce, such as Sriracha
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chervil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 limes juice and lemon juice
- Kosher salt
How to Make It
- Pour the stock in a medium saucepan and add the tea bags. Bring just to a simmer, remove from the heat, and let steep for 3 minutes. Discard the tea bags.
- Return to a simmer and add the mushrooms, bamboo shoots, coconut milk, and chile sauce. Return to a simmer and cook until the mushrooms are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the basil, chervil, parsley, and tarragon. Remove from the heat and let steep for 10 minutes to infuse the soup with the flavors of the herbs.
- Return the soup to a simmer and then stir in the lime juice and salt to taste. Serve hot.