Chef Louise Mellor gets high marks for this soup-and-salad combo. Subscribers ranked this dish as one of the top summer meals. A little crab goes a long way in this recipe. Quality canned crab from a fishmonger is perfectly fine to use if fresh is not available.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Total Time: 30 Minutes
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- ¼ serrano pepper, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 4 ears corn, husked and kernels removed, cobs reserved
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 8 ounces lump crabmeat, picked over to remove any cartilage
- 1 lime juice
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups prepared quinoa, at room temperature
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and cut into cubes
- ¼ cup Pantry Dressing of your choice
For the Crab and Corn chowder
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the oil, and once it is hot, add the onion, garlic, serrano pepper, and corn. Stir to combine and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the onions become soft and translucent.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, and paprika and stir to combine. Turn up the heat to medium-high and add the chicken broth and water, stirring to combine. Add the reserved corncobs, bring to a simmer, and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the corncobs. Carefully ladle 2 cups of the chowder, with vegetables, into a blender and blend until smooth (be sure to hold the lid of the blender down with a towel tightly; hot liquid will create steam pressure in the blender).
- Add the pureed chowder back to the pot and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low and add the cilantro, crabmeat, lime juice, and salt. Stir gently and cook for 5 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning; adjust the thickness by adding more water if needed. For the Tomato Quinoa Salad
- Combine the quinoa with the tomatoes and avocado in a bowl. Toss with the dressing.