A beef stew with a definite Mediterranean flavor. Try it over rice.
- Yield: 6
- Preparation Time: 7 Hours 5 Minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lb beef stew meat
- ¼ teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoons coriander
- ½ teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoons crushed basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1½ cup beef broth
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped black olives
- 1 can artichoke hearts, halved and drained
How to Make It
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Season the beef with the spices, salt and pepper. Be sure to coat all of the meat.
- Add the seasoned beef, onion and garlic to the skillet and brown for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker. Pour in the beef broth and tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and stir.
- Cook on low for 6 hours. Carefully raise the lid and add the artichokes, olives and tomato paste. Close the lid and cook for 1 more hour.