- Yield: 16 Canapes
- Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
- 16¼ inch (6 mm) thick slices of baguette
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 0.33 cup (80 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 oz (175 g) New York (strip loin) steaks
- coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 0.33 cup (80 mL) store-bought or homemade pesto
- small fresh basil leaves for garnish
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Place the baguette slices on a parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Lightly brush with 2 Tbsp (30 mL) of the olive oil; sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake 5 to 8 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature. Heat an indoor or outdoor grill to medium high. Brush the steaks with the remaining olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Grill to desired doneness; 2 to 3 minutes per side should yield a medium-rare steak. Transfer to a plate and rest 5 minutes to allow the juices to set before thinly slicing.
- Top each baguette slice with 2 or 3 slices of the meat. Top the meat with 1 tsp (5 mL) of the pesto. Garnish with basil leaves and serve.