We cooked Newfoundland mussels with Newfoundland treasure Damhnait Doyle. She’d just formed her band, The Heartbroken, and released a debut album, Tonight Tonight. Damhnait has a genuinely positive personality and radiates warmth. We were pleased to spend time with her and hear about her life and career. She loved these mussels.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 beer, bottle or can
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) whipping cream
- 1 tsp (5 ml) butter
- 3 lb (1.5 kg) Newfoundland blue mussels
- ½ cup (125 ml) red onion
- 1 tsp (5 ml) garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup (60 ml) parsley, chopped
- 1 loaf sourdough bread
- Boil beer and lemon juice in large pot with salt. Add cream and butter, mussels, onion, and garlic.
- Cover and steam mussels until they open. Remove mussels to a bowl and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Discard any mussels that do not open. Add cream to juice in pot.
- Cook and reduce to about 1 1/2 cup (375 ml). Add chopped parsley and stir.
- Pour sauce over cooked mussels and serve with sourdough bread.