Chèvre is one of the star ingredients from the kitchens in the south of France. It pairs beautifully with the sweetness of roasted beets. These burgers are also lovely topped with Walnut Pistou.
- Yield: 4 burgers
- 2 large red beets, peeled and sliced about 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick
- Olive oil, for cooking
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon (3 g) fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons (14 g) honey or agave syrup
- 3½ ounces (100 g) fresh chèvre or soft vegan cheese
- 4 pieces French bread, halved
- Chopped walnuts
- 2½ cups (50 g) arugula
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). In a medium-sized bowl, toss the beet slices with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and thyme. Place the beet slices on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until cooked through, flipping about halfway through the cooking time. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, top the beet slices with slices of chèvre.
- Assemble the patties on the French bread. Top with the walnuts and arugula. Bon appétit!