This recipe was a happy accident. With a bowl of salted caramel left over from an apple recipe I was working on, I decided to swirl it into a pan of crispy treats to take to my neighbors. The result is the best thing to have ever happened to a crispy cereal square! Each bite is a cross between a bowl of salty caramel corn and gooey marshmallows. The fact that they take less than 15 minutes to make can be our little secret.
- Yield: 16 Squares
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
- Total Time: 15 Minutes
- 4 tbsp butter
- 10 oz bag (285g) large or miniature marshmallows
- 4½ cups (128g) puffed rice cereal
- ½ cup salted caramel sauce
- sea salt, to decorate
- Lightly spray a 9 x 9in baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the marshmallows until they are just about fully melted into the butter—some chunks of marshmallow may remain. Remove from the heat and add the cereal. Stir until fully coated. Gently fold in half of the salted caramel sauce.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking pan and gently spread it out evenly. Drizzle with the remaining salted caramel sauce. Gently press the mixture down into the pan. Use the back of a large spatula sprayed with nonstick spray to prevent sticking when pressing into the pan. Sprinkle with sea salt. Allow to cool at room temperature for at least 1 hour before cutting. The squares will stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for 7 days.