A meal that can be prepped in ten minutes is priceless when you’ve got a busy day ahead. This teriyaki chicken is just that and the sweet sauce is absolutely divine. This recipe tastes much better than takeout and is loved by all.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Total Time: 6 Hours
- 1½ to 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup lite soy sauce
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (1½ teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- 4 to 6 cups cooked rice, for serving
- Steamed vegetables (like broccoli, carrots, snap peas), for serving
- Sesame seeds and sliced green onions, for garnish (optional)
How to Make It
- Place the chicken in a slow cooker and pour in ¼ cup water. Set the heat to Low. In a medium bowl, whisk together ¼ cup water and the cornstarch, then whisk in the granulated sugar, brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken, cover, and cook on Low for 4 to 6 hours, or until the meat shreds easily with a fork. Remove any fat and shred the chicken. Return the chicken to the slow cooker and stir to coat with the sauce. Turn the slow cooker to Warm until ready to serve. Plate the chicken with cooked rice and steamed vegetables. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions, if desired.