Our healthier take on a beachside burger, these patties have a delectable seared crust but are juicy inside, especially if you use a screaming-hot cast-iron skillet.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Total Time: 15 Minutes
- 1 lb 93% lean ground beef
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp kosher salt, divided
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 2 Tbsp light sour cream
- ¼ cup scallions
- 2 Tbsp chopped pickled jalapenos
How to Make It
- Combine beef, chili powder, black pepper, and ⅛ teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Shape mixture into 4 equal balls.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high. When the pan is hot enough to release wisps of smoke, add beef balls and press down with a firm spatula to form patties. Place a slightly smaller skillet directly on patties. Cook until charred, about 1 minute and 30 seconds. Remove top pan, flip patties, replace top pan, and cook until charred, about 1 minute. Remove top pan, sprinkle patties with remaining ⅜ teaspoon salt, and top with cheese. Invert top pan, and cover skillet. Steam until cheese is melted, 30 to 45 seconds. Place patties on buns; top with sour cream, scallions, and jalapeños.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.