With tropical fruits like papaya and mango now available all year round in most supermarkets, it has never been easier to bring a little bit of sunshine to your lunchtime, whatever the weather. The Smoked chicken salad is make by using smoked chicken, spinach leaves, basil leaves.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large handfuls of fresh spinach leaves
- handful of fresh basil leaves
- 1 lb (450 g) smoked chicken, sliced
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp mango juice
- 1 ripe fresh papaya
- 1 fresh red chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 lime juice
- pinch of sugar
- First, make the dressing. Whisk together the oil, vinegar, and mango juice in a small bowl. Season well with salt and black pepper, and set aside.
- Now make the salsa. Halve the papaya, and remove the seeds. Peel, then chop the flesh. In a bowl, toss together the papaya with the chile, lime juice, and sugar. Season to taste with the salt and black pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the spinach and basil with the dressing, then divide between 4 individual plates. Arrange the smoked chicken on top. Serve with the salsa spooned on top or on the side.