Also known as chicory, endive has a mild bitter taste and a crisp, crunchy texture. Drizzling lemon juice over the leaves not only adds extra flavor, but also prevents discoloration while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 tbsp capers, rinsed, gently squeezed dry, and chopped
- handful of radishes, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 fresh red chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 Large orange juice
- 1 Lime juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 9 oz (250g) smoked salmon, chopped into bite-sized pieces
For the dressing
- 6 tbsp Greek-style yogurt
- 1 Lemon juice
- pinch of five-spice powder
How to Make It
- First, peel the tomatoes (see p15). Cut each tomato in half and squeeze over a bowl to remove the seeds, then slice into cubes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the tomatoes, capers, radishes, bell pepper, scallions, and chile. Add the orange and lime juices, and season with salt and black pepper. Toss gently to mix, and let stand for about 10 minutes to develop the flavors.
- To make the spiced yogurt dressing, mix together the yogurt, lemon juice, and five-spice powder in a small bowl. Season to taste.
- When ready to serve, add the smoked salmon pieces to the salad mixture, and toss again. Serve with the spiced yogurt on the side.