Don’t turn the page on this one. It may not sound like it’ll be the best thing you’ve ever eaten – but believe me, this is so good. It’s one of the things I most remember eating from my childhood. Grandma would make this time and time again for us, and I could never get enough of it…
- Yield: 6
- Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
- 1 large white onion, roughly chopped
- large knob of butter
- 2 bibb (butter) lettuces, roughly shredded
- 35 fl oz 4 cups (1 litre) vegetable stock
- 17 fl oz 2 cups (500 ml) milk
- 1 romaine (cos) lettuce, roughly shredded
- crème fraîche (sour cream) and rocket (arugula), to serve
- Take a large saucepan and add the onion, along with the butter. Season with salt and pepper and cook over medium–low heat for a few minutes until the onion softens.
- Add the bibb lettuce, vegetable stock and milk, then bring to the boil and cook for around 10 minutes until the lettuce wilts.
- Remove from the heat and add the romaine lettuce, stir and allow to cool for a few minutes before blending until smooth. Check for seasoning I love a little extra white pepper here.
- Return the soup to the pan and gently reheat. Ladle into bowls, add a dollop of crème fraîche and a handful of rocket, then serve.