- Yield: 6 Dozen
- ¾ cup (150 g) Spectrum Organic Shortening
- ¼ 4 cup (60 ml) unsulfured molasses
- 1 cup (225 g) packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup (28 g) flax meal
- Dash of salt
- 1 teaspoon (4.6 g) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (1.8 g) ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon (2.3 g) ground cinnamon
- 1½ cups (185 g) Bob’s Red Mill white rice fl our
- ½ cup (50 g) rice bran
- 0.33 cup (42 g) Bob’s Red Mill tapioca fl our
- 5 teaspoons (25 ml) water
- 1 cup (120 g) powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) lemon juice
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4).
- To make the cookies: Cream together shortening, molasses, brown sugar, flax meal, and salt. Add in remaining cookie ingredients and blend until the dough forms into a ball. The dough will be dense.
- Pinch off dough and roll into 1-inch (2.5-cm) balls. Place about 12 cookies on a greased baking sheet. Flatten the cookies with a spatula.
- Bake for about 12 minutes, until middles are fi rm. Let cookies cool for 1 minute on baking sheet before removing with a spatula to a fl at surface to cool completely.
- To make the icing: Mix powdered sugar and lemon juice until you reach a spreadable consistency. Drizzle over or frost cooled cookies.