Spinach salad is a relative newcomer to the Greek table. Indeed, enjoying spinach raw is a fairly recent phenomenon, since it is among the greens most commonly consumed cooked into pies and casseroles. This hearty salad can easily double as a main course.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 8 cups (160 g) fresh spinach, trimmed
- 1 ripe but firm avocado
- 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup (160 g) cooked chickpeas (canned are fine)
- ½ cup (75 g) crumbled Greek feta
- ½ cup (75 g) Greek wrinkled black olives, such as throumbes
- 1 navel or blood orange, peeled and cut into sections
- 1 recipe Greek Lemon–Olive Oil Dressing
- Coarsely chop the spinach, if preferred. Wash and spin dry in a salad spinner. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Cut the avocado into slices, peel, and cut each slice in half. Add to the bowl with the spinach.
- Add the onion, chickpeas, feta, olives, and orange slices to the bowl. Toss with the salad dressing and serve.