The dhal is washed here after warming to remove any dust or husks that may have remained on it.
- Yield: 2 Servings
- 4 oz (125 g) green gram dhal (skinned & split)
- 4 bunches spinach, washed and chopped
- 1 Tbs coconut, grated
- 1 small lime, juiced
- 1 tomato, chopped into small pieces
- 2 cups water
- salt to taste
- 1 Tbs oil
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
- ¼ tsp black pepper, crushed
- 2½ em (1 in) piece ginger root, grated
- 10 curry leaves
- 2 green chillies, halved
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 pinch asafetida
How to Make It
- Dry fry green gram dhal in a pan until it is warmed through, about 1 minute. Rinse the dhal and place into a heavy· bottomed pot or pressure cooker with the water. Cook for 15-20 minutes in the pot or 4 minutes in the pressure cooker. Set aside with the water.
- Prepare the tempering by heating the oil over a low heat in a heavy-bottomed pot. Add the cumin seeds, and when they start to splutter add the rest of the tempering ingredients. Fry for a few seconds.
- Add chopped spinach to the seasoning and fry for a few minutes until the spinach is wilted. Then add cooked green gram dhal with the water, grated coconut and salt. If the dhal is very thick add more water to bring the dhal to consistency you desire. Cook for a few minutes until the spinach is well done.