This recipe was prepared on an episode of One Chef One Critic by Jonny Hennessey, a sous-chef at the Gypsy Tea Room, one of our largest and most popular restaurants in downtown St. John’s. You can go to the Gypsy Tea Room and order this dish with a glass of wine. It would be brilliant. Or you might try making it yourself.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) canola oil
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) sesame oil
- 16 large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp (10 ml) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ tsp (2 ml) garlic, minced
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sweet chili sauce
- sesame seeds for garnish
- Heat canola oil and sesame oil together in large frying pan on medium high.
- Add shrimp, salt, pepper, green onions, and ginger. Sauté until shrimp begin to turn opaque.
- Stir shrimp. Add soy sauce, cilantro, and garlic.
- Stir and let cook 1 or 2 minutes. Add sweet chili sauce. Stir and reduce heat to low.
- Serve 4 shrimp per person and cover plated shrimp with pan sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.