It’s amazing how chickpeas and a little kelp recreate the taste of tuna. This salad is great on whole-wheat bread, smashed in a lettuce wrap, or served over a warm whole-wheat English muffin and topped with a slice of tomato.
- Yield: 4 sandwiches
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 celery stalks, washed
- 1 to 2 tbsp pickle relish
- 1⁄2 tsp onion flakes
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp Mayo
- 1⁄2 tsp kelp powder
- 1⁄2 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- Black pepper, to taste
How to Make It
- In a large mixing bowl, mash chickpeas with a fork until coarse and no whole beans are left. Alternatively, pulse beans in a food processor a few times, careful not to puree, and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Shred celery with a cheese grater or mince in food processor by letting the motor run.
- Transfer to the mixing bowl and add remaining ingredients, stirring to combine. Add more Mayo or kelp as necessary or desired.