- Yield: 3 Dozen
- 0.66 cup (135 g) superfine sugar
- ½ cup (100 g) Spectrum Organic Shortening
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla extract
- ½ cup (60 g) Bob’s Red Mill tapioca flour
- 1 cup (125 g) Bob’s Red Mill white rice flour
- ½ teaspoon (2.3 g) baking soda
- 0.2 (1.5 g) teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) rice milk, safe milk alternative, or water
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4).
- In a food processor combine the sugar, shortening, and vanilla; pulse a few times to partially combine the ingredients. Add in the fl ours, baking soda, and salt. Pulse dough while slowly adding in the rice milk.
- Process until smooth (about 40 seconds). If necessary, add 1 teaspoon (5 ml) rice milk. Dough should look smooth but not fi rm. You should be able to pinch off a piece of dough and roll it into a soft ball without it sticking too much to your hands. If the dough appears watery, add in 1 tablespoon (8 g) powdered sugar or (7.8 g) rice fl our at a time until the dough reaches the correct consistency.
- For sugar cookies, you can scoop with a small ice cream/cookie scoop or pinch off equal amounts of dough and roll into balls. Place on baking sheet 5 inches (13 cm) apart (about 6 cookies on an average-size baking sheet).
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until cookies are slightly golden around the edges and have cracks on the tops. Even if they are not golden, when you see the cracks forming, remove from the oven. Let cool for one minute, then remove from baking sheet with a spatula and let cool completely on a fl at surface.