- Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 pound calf’s head meat (nose, ears, lips, cheeks)
- chopped aromatic vegetables (onion, carrot and celery)
- ¼ cup red wine
- 2 cups peeled chopped tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Stale bread (optional)
- Grated parmigiano (optional)
How to Make It
- Boil the calf’s head meat in salted water for about 1 hour. Set aside to cool, and drain. Cut into strips and set aside.
- In a pot, warm 8 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the aromatic vegetables, and cook until soft. Add the meat and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Deglaze with the wine, and cook until it evaporates. Add the tomatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally and adding water if necessary.
- Serve with or spooned over the toasted bread, sprinkled with parmigiano and finished with a grinding of pepper.