Chocolate-Chipotle Mini Donuts, which have a deep chocolate flavor and a wonderful slow burn at the end to satisfy all of your taste buds.
- Yield: 30 mini donuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground chipotle chili pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground chipotle chili pepper
How to Make It
- If using an electric donut maker, preheat according to manufacturer’s instructions. If using donut pans, preheat oven to 350°F and grease donut pans.
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, ground chipotle pepper, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg and sugar. Then add milk, oil, sour cream, and vanilla extract, mixing until thoroughly combined. Gently stir in the flour mixture, stirring until there are no lumps If using Mini-Donut Pans
- Carefully fill each donut indentation 3⁄4 full. Bake for 7–9 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a donut comes out clean. Transfer donuts to a cooling rack and let cool completely. If using an Electric Mini-Donut maker
- Carefully fill each donut indentation 3⁄4 full. Bake according to manufacturer’s instructions or until a toothpick inserted into a donut comes out clean. Remove donuts from appliance, transfer to a cooling rack, and let cool completely.
- Place wax paper under a wire rack to collect any drippings for an easy cleanup. Then, in a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add milk, corn syrup, and chopped chocolate, stirring slowly to allow chocolate to melt completely.
- Once melted, remove from heat and whisk in powdered sugar and ground chipotle pepper. Immediately dip the top of each donut into the icing and transfer to a wire rack.
- Let frosting set for 10 minutes and then serve. Donuts can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days but are best when eaten fresh.