Creme Caramel is gluten-free and has easily become one of my favorite desserts. This light-tasting dessert has a layer of soft caramel on creamy custard. Although Creme Caramel is a European dessert, it is enjoyed throughout the world.
- Yield: 8 -¾ cup ramekin bowls
- Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 45 Minutes
- 1 - ¼ cups brown sugar
- 1 - ¼ cups of 15% cream
- 1 - ½ cups milk
- 1 cup cold water
- 6 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 340 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan, over low heat, combine ¾ cup of sugar with the cold water. Cook for five minutes, or until the sugar has dissolved. Increase to medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Continue to boil for about six minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes. Pour the mixture equally into eight – ¾ cup capacity oven-proof porcelain ramekin bowls and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, combine the cream, milk and vanilla extract. Cook until bubbles begin to form at the top, about seven minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs together with the remaining sugar until smooth and creamy. Slowly add the cream mixture while whisking.
- Pour equally into the eight ramekin bowls.
- Place the eight bowls in a large baking dish and fill with boiling water until the water reaches halfway up the sides of the ramekin dishes. Bake for 40-45 minutes. They should look ‘set’ and not liquid. Remove from heat.
- Remove the ramekin bowls from the baking dish. Allow to cool completely. Refrigerate overnight for best results.
- When ready to serve, run a knife around the edges of the bowls and flip upside down on a dessert plate.