- Yield: 8 Servings
- 1¼ cups (300 ml) whole milk
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons (150 ml) full-fat organic coconut milk
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon (120 g) organic granulated cane sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped and pod
- 4 large pasture-raised egg yolks (80 g)
- ¼ cup (35 g) organic unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon unsalted organic butter
- 2 cups (150 g) unsweetened or lightly sweetened desiccated coconut
- ½ batch Flaky Pie Do(ugh), blind-baked in a 10-inch (25.5 cm) pan
- 1½ cups (360 ml) heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons organic granulated cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste, or the seeds scraped from ½ vanilla bean pod
- 1 cup (75 g) unsweetened large flake coconut, toasted
How to Make It
- Combine the whole milk, coconut milk, 3 tablespoons of the sugar, and the vanilla bean in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Place another 3 tablespoons of the sugar and the egg yolks in a bowl and whisk together to dissolve the sugar.
- Stir together the flour, cornstarch, and the remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar in a separate bowl.
- While whisking the egg yolks, gradually whisk in the flour mixture, ensuring there are no lumps. Then whisk ½ cup (120 ml) of the milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Transfer all the egg yolk mixture to the saucepan of coconut milk, still whisking. Place the custard on medium heat and whisk as it cooks for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Whisk the butter into the finished custard, followed by the desiccated coconut, and transfer the custard to a glass bowl to cool for 30 minutes.
- Transfer the filling into the blind-baked pie shell and chill for 1 to 4 hours in the refrigerator. To make the Topping
- Whip the cream with the sugar and vanilla in a large bowl, using a large whisk, or place the ingredients in a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and whip until the cream reaches stiff peaks.
- Pile the whipped cream on top of the chilled pie filling and sprinkle generously with the toasted coconut flakes.
- Keep the pie in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Use a clean and dry hot knife to cut into the layers of cream and custard when slicing.