- Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 kg (4 lb 8 oz) small black mussels in their shells (yielding around 350 g/12 oz meat)
- 1 long red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 2½ tablespoons white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 oz (50 g) tapioca or plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1½ oz 1⁄3 cup (40 g) cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 12 oz 4 cups (350 g) bean sprouts
- 4 spring onions (scallions), sliced
- 3 fl oz 1⁄3 cup (80 ml) vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- a few coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 1 long red chilli, seeded and thinly sliced
- a sprinkle of ground white pepper
- 4 lime wedges
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Scrub the mussels and remove their hairy beards. Discard any open mussels and any that don’t close when tapped on the work surface. Spread the mussels over a baking tray and bake for 5 minutes, or until the shells open slightly. Discard any unopened mussels. When the shells return to a comfortable temperature, prise them open, scoop out the meat from each and put it in a colander to drain out any juices. To make the chilli sauce, mix the chilli, vinegar, sugar
- To make the chilli sauce, mix the chilli, vinegar, sugar and a pinch of salt in a small serving bowl.
- Combine the flours with 6 to 8 tablespoons water using a fork or spoon until the mixture is smooth and without lumps. Add the fish sauce and sugar. Divide among four bowls and add some mussels to each bowl.
- Separate the garlic, bean sprouts and spring onions into equal portions for each serving.
- Make one pancake at a time. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small frying pan and stir-fry one portion of garlic over medium heat until golden brown. Stir one portion of the mussel mixture with a spoon and pour it into the frying pan, swirling the pan to ensure that the mixture spreads evenly. Cook for 2–3 minutes, or until it is brown underneath. Turn with a spatula and brown the other side. Make a hole in the centre and break an egg into the hole. Sprinkle a half portion of bean sprouts and spring onion over the top. Cook until the egg sets, then flip the pancake again. Turn the pancake onto a serving plate.
- Sprinkle each pancake with coriander leaves, sliced chilli and ground pepper. Place a lime wedge, bean sprouts and spring onions on the plate. Serve with the chilli sauce.