- Yield: 12 Servings
- Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
- 1 lb holiday soup mix of dried beans, or your choice of 1 lb of mixed dried beans
- 9 cups water
- 6 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 14-oz can low-sodium stewed or whole tomatoes
- One lemon juice
- 2 ham hocks
How to Make It
- Place dried beans in large stockpot and cover with 9 cups of water. Cover and bring to a boil on your stovetop. Continue boiling for 10 minutes.
- Remove beans from heat, keeping covered. Allow to stand for 1 hour.
- Return covered pot of beans to the stove and bring to a boil. Then turn to simmer and continue cooking, covered, for 2½–3 hours, or until beans are soft. Drain.
- Place drained beans in the slow cooker. Add 6 cups water, chopped onion, tomatoes, lemon juice, and 2 ham hocks. Mix together well.
- Cover and cook on High 3 hours, or on Low 5 hours.
- Remove ham from bone. Cut meat into small pieces and stir into soup before serving.