I think I’ve done more cooking segments on TV with Rebecca Quinton of Quintanas in St. John’s than with any other chef, with the exception of Steve. Rebecca is a real pro, and Mexican food with a Texas twist is her specialty. Rebecca hails from Texas: she grew up with the flavours she creates at Quintanas. She prepared this ceviche of scallops for an episode of One Chef One Critic.
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 2 lb (1 kg) scallops
- 1½ cup (375 ml) fresh lime juice
- 1 cup (250 ml) onion, very finely chopped
- 1 cup (250 ml) tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 pickled jalapeño peppers, seeded and slivered
- 1 cup (250 ml) chopped black olives
- ½ cup (125 ml) capers
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) fresh oregano, finely chopped
- ½ cup (125 ml) fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Combine all ingredients except cilantro in a flat dish and refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving, drain completely and garnish with cilantro. Serve with crackers.