- Yield: 6 Servings
- 3 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- Chopped parsley
- ½ cup white wine
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Stale crusty Italian bread
How to Make It
- In a pot, warm 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onion, carrot, garlic, bay leaves, and parsley and cook briefly. Add the wine and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the mussels, cover, and cook over high heat until the mussels open and the liquid reduces. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Slice and toast the bread. Rub with garlic, and place in serving bowls. Serve the mussels (in a half shell) on top of the toast, and spoon the vegetables and sauce over them.
- To serve, sprinkle with parsley and finish with a grinding of pepper.