This is a significant spin on the classic dish beef tartare, in which raw meat is chopped and mixed with tangy flavorings and displayed in patty-like form on a plate. In this version, finely chopped smoked salmon replaces the beef, and the tartare mixture is spooned onto palate-refreshing slices of cucumber, making a decadent appetizer.
- Yield: 20 pieces
- Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
- ¼ lb (125 g) cold smoked salmon, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) finely chopped red onion
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) capers, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh dill
- 20 English cucumber slices cut ½ inch (1 cm) thick
- Place the salmon, onion, capers, oil, lemon juice, mustard, pepper and dill in a bowl and gently mix to combine.
- Use a small spoon or melon baller to scoop out some of the center portion of each cucumber slice.
- Mound 2 tsp (10 mL) of the smoked salmon tartare in the center of each cucumber slice and arrange on a serving tray.