This festive dessert was created for a Hanukkah celebration. To make the design, place a star-shaped cookie cutter on a frosted cupcake, then fill in with vibrant blue nonpareils. You could, of course, modify this idea with other cookie cutter shapes just make sure they’re no larger than three inches wide, so they’ll fit atop a cupcake.
- Yield: 24
- 24 One-Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes or White Cupcakes
- Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- 2 cups blue round candy sprinkles (nonpareils)
- Use a serrated knife to trim top of each cupcake to make level. Using an offset spatula, spread each cupcake with a smooth layer of buttercream.
- When ready to serve, lay a six-sided star cookie cutter on top of a cupcake. Using a small spoon, fill inside cutter completely with sprinkles in an even layer. (For best results, do not overfill, as the star may lose its shape once the cutter is removed.) Carefully lift cookie cutter, and repeat with remaining cupcakes.