Eggs bubble in a bath of fresh tomato sauce in this gorgeous dish. The rich flavor of the soft egg yolks and the piquant sauce make terrific breakfast companions. Serve with focaccia or thick slices of toasted country bread to soak up every last juicy drop.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 17 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 ripe medium tomatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and coarsely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil or oregano
- 4 wedges Italian flatbread (focaccia)
- For tomato sauce, in a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, salt, crushed red pepper, and black pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, for 12 to 15 minutes or until tomatoes juices begin to thicken, stirring and crushing tomatoes occasionally with the back of a spoon.
- Crack 1 egg into a small bowl or cup. Slip the egg into the tomato mixture. Repeat with remaining eggs, allowing each egg an equal amount of space in the tomato mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes or until egg whites are set and yolks are thickened.
- Drizzle eggs with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil before serving. Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve with focaccia.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.