Depending on how much heat you like, choose sweet or hot Hungarian paprika to spice this goulash.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Preparation Time: 25 Minutes
- 1½ pounds beef stew meat
- 2 medium carrots, bias-cut into ½ inch thick slices
- 2 medium onions, thinly slilced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1¼ cups beef broth
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 red or green sweet pepper, cut into bite-size strips
- hot cooked noodles
- Dairy sour cream or yogurt
- Hungarian paprika (optional)
How to Make It
- In a 3½ or 4 quart slow cooker, combine meat, carrots, onions, and garlic. In a small bowl, combine broth, tomato paste, the 1 tablespoon paprika, the lemon peel, salt, caraway seeds, black pepper, and bay leaf. Stir into vegetable and meat mixture in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 3½ to 4½ hours.
- if using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in sweet pepper. Cover and cook for 30 minutes more. Discard bay leaf. Serve with noodles. Top with sour cream. If desired, sprinkle with additional paprika.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.