My cuisine is very much modern French but at all times seasonal, using tastes and textures from elsewhere to enrich my French traditions. This light summer dish is a perfect example the tuna is from the Mediterranean.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 8 hand dived scallops medium, thinly sliced
- 100 g tuna, marinated, cut into 1 mm thin strips
- 4 pinches salt
- 4 pinches cayenne pepper
- 15 ml Seville orange, juice
- 20 ml olive oil, extra virgin
- 4 g banana shallot, finely diced, washed and drained
- 2 g chives, chopped
- 8 g caviar Ocietra
- 100 g fennel salad
- 2 g shiso cress, 6 leaves each
- 4 g micro herb
- 100 g tuna loin trimmed
- 4.5 g grey salt
- 3 Seville orange zest, grated
- 2 g lemon zest, grated
- 2 g basil stalks, chopped
- 2 black peppercorns, crushed
- 100 g fennel, finely sliced
- 4 pinches sea salt
- 5 ml Seville orange juice
- 15 ml olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 g lime zest, blanched
- 3 times in boiling water and chopped fine
- 8 ginger, sliced fine and blanched
- 3 times in boiling water
- 0.5 g cayenne pepper
- 5 g fennel seeds, soaked over night and toasted in a dry pan
- 20 g rocket leaves
How to Make It
- On a large piece of clingfilm (big enough to wrap around the tuna twice) place the piece of tuna, mix together the rest of the ingredients and evenly sprinkle on both sides of the fish. Tightly wrap in the clingfilm and leave to marinade in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Wash off the marinade, pat dry and store in the freezer tightly clingfilmed. Fennel salad
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredient together except for the rocket. Taste, correct the seasoning and put to one side until needed.
- This should only be done up to 10 minutes before you are ready to serve, and mix in the rocket at the last minute to prevent it from wilting. Chviche
- On a large square plate, arrange the sliced scallops into three lines running from the top to the bottom. In between the scallop rows place the sliced tuna.
- Season the scallops only with the salt and pepper.
- On top of each row of scallops place a thin line of shallot, chives and three small amounts of caviar evenly spaced.
- Finish with a small amount of fennel salad in the middle and garnish with the Shiso and micro herbs.