I think you could convince me to try just about any food or flavor combination so long as you piled it on a buttermilk biscuit. These chickpea flour biscuits are no exception to the rule. Rather, they just rule. If you want to make the cheese really pop (both in the literal and figurative sense), dice it rather than shred it. The cheese will explode from the sides of the biscuits in blissful blobs ranging from gooey to crispy.
- Yield: 12 Biscuits
- 2¼ cups (270 grams) chickpea flour
- 2 teaspoons natural cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1½ cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 0.33 cup chopped chives
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, work the butter into the flour mixture until the dough is crumbly. Add the buttermilk and stir until just blended; fold in the cheese and chives.
- Drop the dough in 12 equal mounds onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing them 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 to 13 minutes, until golden brown on top. Cool slightly. Serve warm.