Rich with chocolate flavor and laden with old-fashioned charm, these fudgy brownies will make you swoon. Gluten-free, grain-free chickpea flour makes for an especially smooth, truffle-like texture and heightens the earthy flavors of the cocoa powder.
- Yield: 16 Brownies
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons neutral vegetable oil
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar or natural cane sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 0.33 cup (40 grams) chickpea flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on two opposing sides. Spray the paper with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the stick of butter over medium heat. Add the oil, sugar, and cocoa powder; cook and stir for 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat and whisk in the vanilla; cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs to the cocoa mixture, whisking vigorously until the mixture is blended and appears thick and glossy. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt; whisk vigorously for 30 seconds. Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake the brownies for 23 to 28 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Transfer the pan to a wire rack; cool completely in the pan.
- Holding on to the paper, lift the brownies from the pan. Remove the paper and cut into 16 squares.