A necessity at a mermaid party! Brown sugar is a popular option for edible sand, but sometimes it can be too much additional sugar. This sand is made from excess cake scraps that can be taken from offcuts of a cake or from a few spare cupcakes. As you’ll see in this book, it is great for use as a topping in the Sandcastle Cake or as an accent on a dessert platter.
- Vanilla or lemon cake scraps
- Crumble the cake into small pieces. Scatter onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Set the oven to 250°F and dry the crumbs for 20 to 30 minutes, until dry. Cool completely.
- Place the crumbs into a food processor and pulse until they resemble sand.
- Use in your favorite beachy recipe!