In Thailand, these whole grilled chickens are seen by the roadside rotating on open spits. Thai chickens are leaner than those found in Western countries but the taste will be similar. There are many flavouring variations used for grilled chickens.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 4 coriander (cilantro) roots, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 lemon grass stalk, white part only, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar (jaggery)
- 1 chicken, spatchcocked
sweet chilli sauce, to serve
- lime wedges, to serve
How to Make It
- Using a pestle and mortar, pound the coriander roots, garlic, lemon grass, fish sauce, white pepper and palm sugar together, then spoon into a bowl. Add the chicken and rub the marinade all over the skin. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
- Heat a barbecue, char-grill or grill (broiler) until very hot. Cook the chicken for 20–30 minutes, turning it over at regular intervals.
- Cut the chicken into pieces and serve with sweet chilli sauce and lime wedges.