This is a combination of all the things I love – the perfect start to any day in my book, and definitely one that’s not to be missed. If you’re going all out, some crumbled honeycomb makes a great addition.
- Yield: 6 (makes 8–10 macaroons)
- Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
- 4 egg whites
- 4¾ oz 1½ cups (135 g) desiccated coconut
- 5¼ oz 1½ cups (145 g) flaked almonds
- 5¾ ¾ cup (165 g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- ½ pineapple, sliced
- 3¼ 1/3 cup (95 g) thick Greek-style yogurt
- 2 tablespoons runny honey
- sprigs of mint, to serve
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/gas mark 4) and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- In a heatproof bowl, combine the egg whites, coconut, almond flakes, sugar, vanilla extract and a teaspoon of salt. Set over a pan of simmering water make sure the water isn’t touching the base of the bowl and cook for 7–8 minutes, stirring constantly, until the egg whites are opaque and the mixture is heated through.
- Place generous tablespoons of the mixture onto the lined baking sheet, leaving plenty of space in between, as they’ll flatten out when cooking. Bake for 5 minutes until they start to turn golden, then reduce the temperature to 170°C (325°F/gas mark 3) and cook for a further 10 minutes. Leave to cool before serving.
- Stack the macaroons, layering them with pineapple and yogurt. Drizzle with honey and top with sprigs of mint, then serve immediately.