Kaye loves this dish and can now make it really well. I have finally convinced her of the merits of preheating the oven, so she no longer burns every vegetable she tries to roast. By the way, if you’re not a vegetarian, this goes really well as a side with lamb.
- Yield: 2 Servings (or 4 as a side dish)
- 1 aubergine, cut into 2.5 cm (1 in) cubes
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into batons
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinammon (optional)
- 250 g bag pre-cooked brown and wild rice
- large handful of flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- ½ finely grated lemon juice and zest, unwaxed lemon to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6).
- Toss the veg in the oil, salt, and cinnamon (if using), and space out on a baking tray in a single layer. Roast for 30 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Meanwhile, mix together all the dressing ingredients, whisking with a fork until the oil and lemon emulsify, which means the oil incorporates completely with the other ingredients. Taste, adjust the seasoning, and add more lemon if you like.
- Put the rice and parsley in a large bowl with the roasted veg, and pour the dressing over.
- Stir well and serve!