This caesar-like salad is made with romaine hearts, the crisp, center portion of romaine lettuce, sold in bags in the produce section of most supermarkets. Serve this salad as a starter or light lunch.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
- 8 thin slices focaccia bread
- ½ cup (125 ml) mayonnaise
- 0.33 cup (80 ml) freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus some for sprinkling
- 0.33 cup (80 ml) buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- splash Tabasco sauce
- splash Worcestershire sauce
- 2 romaine hearts, chopped, washed and dried
- 4 lemon wedges
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Set the focaccia slices on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly toasted.
- Remove from the oven and set aside. Combine the mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, buttermilk, lemon juice, sugar, garlic, salt, pepper, Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl.
- Divide the romaine hearts among 4 salad plates. Drizzle some of the dressing over top and serve the rest table side.
- Set 2 croutons alongside each salad. Garnish each salad with a lemon wedge, sprinkle with a little Parmesan cheese and serve.