This is super-simple, but makes a rounded meal to kick-start the day. I like the contrast between the sweet gherkins and hot chilli oil (I’m in love with the pots of it you get from the Vietnamese supermarket). You’ll be well awake once you’ve scoffed this.
- Yield: 4
- Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
- Total Time: 10 Minutes
- 6 organic or free-range eggs
- 2 tablespoons low-fat crème fraîche (sour cream)
- 4 slices of pumpernickel bread
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 4 large gherkins (pickles), sliced lengthways
- 1 spring onion (scallion), thinly sliced
- squeeze of lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chilli oil, or more to taste
- Whisk the eggs and crème fraîche in a bowl, season with salt and pepper, then transfer to a non-stick frying pan. Cook over medium–low heat, using a spatula (not a whisk) to gently stir the eggs, so you end up with generous soft lumps of egg.
- Toast the bread, then plate up, starting with the toast. Place the eggs and avocado on top, followed by the gherkins. Finish with a few slices of spring onion , a squeeze of lime juice and a drizzle of chilli oil, or more if you’re up for a bit of heat.