- Yield: 4 Servings
Smoked Salmon Gnocchi and Smoked Salmon Cream
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup flour, plus extra for dredging
- 1 cup milk
- 5 oz smoked salmon, diced and frozen
- 4 cups vegetable oil for deep frying
- 0.66 cup smoked salmon stock
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- 4 tsp cold unsalted butter
- ½ lemon
- 0.66 cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup sweet wine, like Essensia orange muscat
- 0.33 cup water
- Pinch of Chinese five-spice powder
Sesame-Scented Cabbage and Supreme of Salmon
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 8 oz white cabbage, finely sliced
- 4 tsp raisins (reserved from raisin puree)
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 oz parsley, julienned (about 3 Tbsp)
- 4 fillets wild salmon, 5 oz each
- Deep-fried parsley for garnish
How to Make It
- Ask your fishmonger for larger cuts off the salmon fillet for this dish. Smoked Salmon Gnocchi
- In a small saucepan, heat butter on medium heat. Add flour and stir well to combine. Slowly add milk to form a paste. Refrigerate this Bechamel for 2 hours until cold.
- In a food processor, blend together Bechamel and frozen smoked salmon into a smooth paste. Pass this mixture through a fine sieve, then roll it into a ¼ inch-diameter cylinder. Cut the cylinder into ¾ inch pieces to make gnocchi.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add smoked salmon gnocchi and blanch for r minute. Plunge them into an ice bath to refresh, then drain them.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or a deep pot to 350°F. Gently toss salmon gnocchi in flour to coat, then fry them in the oil for 30 seconds. Remove the gnocchi from the oil and allow them to drain on paper towels. Smoked Salmon Cream
- In a small saucepan, heat salmon stock on medium heat until reduced to a glaze, about 20 minutes. Add cream and bring to a boil, then whisk in cold butter, salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice. Raisin Puree
- In a medium saucepan, combine raisins, sweet wine, water and five-spice powder. Bring to a boil, then allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Remove 4 tsp of raisins and set them aside. In a blender, puree the rest of the raisin mixture until smooth and pass through a fine sieve. Sesame- Scented Cabbage and Supreme of Salmon
- Heat a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan on high heat. Add 2 tsp of the olive oil and cabbage and stir vigorously for 3 to 4 minutes. Add raisins and sesame oil, then season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and finish with fresh parsley.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a large ovenproof saute pan on high heat. Add salmon, skin-side down. Place in the oven and roast for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the salmon from oven, turn the fillets over, then season with salt and pepper and brush with the remaining 1 tsp of olive oil.