A hearty lasagna that’s just a little different! It freezes well too, so it’s a great make-ahead. Wrap the unbaked lasagna well and freeze up to three months. To serve, thaw overnight and bake as directed.
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 12 lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 1 lb. ground beef chuck
- ¼ oz. pkg. taco seasoning mix
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 15 oz. container ricotta cheese
- 16 oz. pkg. finely shredded Colby Jack cheese, divided
- 24 oz. jar salsa, divided
How to Make It
- Cook noodles according to package directions, just until tender; drain. Meanwhile, brown beef in a skillet over medium heat; drain.
- Stir in taco seasoning, adding a small amount of water if a thinner sauce is desired. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, combine egg whites and ricotta cheese until well blended.
- Lightly spray a deep 13"x9" baking pan with non-stick vegetable spray.
- Layer 4 noodles, ¾ cup cheese mixture, half of beef mixture and 1-1/3 cups shredded cheese.
- Next, layer with 4 noodles, ¾ cup cheese mixture, remaining beef mixture, 1-½ cups salsa and 1-1/3 cups shredded cheese.
- Layer with remaining noodles, cheese mixture, salsa and shredded cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.