Wakame seaweed contains lots of calcium and minerals and is available dried from most supermarkets all year round. It’s funny but I love eating wakame seaweed onigiri in summer. Perhaps it is because the aroma of the seaweed reminds me of the summer breeze!
- Yield: 8
- 6 tbsp Dried wakame seaweed
- 17 oz (480 g)Cooked Japanese short grain rice
- 2 tbsp Toasted white sesame seeds
- Salt to taste
- 4 Nori seaweed sheets
- Put dried wakame in a resealable bag and crush with a rolling pin or crumble with your hands. Set aside.
- Put rice and crushed wakame seaweed in a bowl and mix well. Cover the bowl with a wet cloth. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add sesame seeds to the rice and mix well. Taste and add salt if needed.
- Place cling wrap in a rice bowl and scoop one-eighth of the rice mixture into the bowl. Pull out rice together with cling wrap and mould rice into your preferred shape. Remove cling wrap and wrap nori around rice ball as desired. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.