- Yield: 4 Servings
- 6 Rom a tomatoes, halved and seeded
- 3 shallots, halved
- 1 clove garlic, finely sliced
- Pinch of rock salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 oz parsley, chopped (about V. cup)
- 1 eggplant, about 7 oz
- 2 tomatoes concasse
- 1 oz pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tsp tahini
- 1 sprig thyme, leaves picked off and stem discarded
- 4 oz pasta dough
- 2 tsp olive oil
Parsley Vinaigrette and Pan-Fried Mackerel
- 5 oz flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked off and stems discarded
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- lemon juice to taste
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 2 mackerel, 1 lb each, filleted and pin bones removed
- Deep-fried parsley for garnish
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Place tomatoes, shallots, garlic and rock salt onto a sheet of aluminum foil 12 inches x 12 inches. Drizzle with olive oil, then fold the foil over the mixture and seal into a packet. Place the packet onto a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 4 to 5 hours.
- Remove the packet from the oven, extract its contents, discard the shallot and tomato skins, then roughly run a knife through the tomato mixture to make a coarse puree. Add parsley and season with salt and pepper. Cannelloni
- Place eggplant on an open-flame burner and turn it every 3 or 4 minutes until the outside is entirely charred. Cut it in half, spoon out and discard the seeds, then spoon out the flesh. Finely chop the flesh and allow it to drain in a sieve, then place it in a medium bowl. Add tomatoes concasse, pine nuts, tahini and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Transfer this eggplant mixture into a piping bag with a Y.l-inch nozzle.
- Roll out pasta dough to the thickness of a dime. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and blanch for 2 minutes, then remove it from the pot and plunge it into an ice bath to refresh.
- Cut the pasta into eight 4-inch x 8-inch rectangles. Pipe a line of the eggplant mixture along one of the 8-inch edges of each pasta rectangle. Roll the pasta over the filling into a cigar shape and wrap each cannelloni in plastic wrap. Leave in the refrigerator to set overnight.
- Remove the plastic wrap from the cannelloni. Trim the ends off each cannelloni, then cut each cannelloni in half. Heat olive oil in a non-stick saute pan on medium heat. Add the cannelloni and gently fry for about 1 minute per side until golden, starting with the side of the seam.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. When the cannelloni are brown, transfer them, seam-side down, to a baking dish and bake in the oven for 4 to 5 minutes. Parsley Vinaigrette
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add parsley leaves and blanch until leaves begin to dissolve, about 3 minutes, then plunge them into an ice bath to refresh. In a blender, combine parsley, olive oil and vinegar, and blend until smooth. Season this vinaigrette with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Pan- Fried Mackerel
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick saute pan on high heat, then add the mackerel fillets, skin-side down, and fry for 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the fish over, remove the pan from heat and season with salt and pepper.