- Yield: 3 Dozen
- ½ cup (100 g) Spectrum Organic Shortening
- ½ cup (100 g) superfine sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) lemon or lime juice
- 1 teaspoon (1.7 g) grated lemon or lime zest
- 1½ cups (185 g) Bob’s Red Mill white rice flour
- ½ teaspoon (2.3 g) baking powder
- 1 cup (65 g) cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) lemon or lime juice
- ½ cup (120 g) powdered sugar
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4)
- To make the cookies: Mix the shortening, sugar, juice, and zest. Mixture will look coagulated. Add the remaining cookie ingredients, blend until the dough is smooth
- Form dough into a ball, cover in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes. If dough becomes too firm from being too chilled, leave out at room temperature for a few minutes until dough is easier to work with.
- Pinch off 1 to 2 teaspoons (5 to 10 g) of dough and roll into a ball. Place on a baking sheet about 2 inches apart (5 cm). Do not flatten.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until cookies are golden around the bottom edges. Remove with a spatula and place on a flat surface to cool.
- To make the glaze: Mix powdered sugar and juice until smooth.
- While the cookies are warm, spoon glaze over each cookie. After the cookies are cooled completely, spread an additional thin layer of glaze on each cookie, if you desire. Put on a flat surface and place in the refrigerator to harden the glaze.
- If you do not want to use the glaze, roll the cooled cookies in powdered sugar.