Throw together this fragrant salad for a light meal packed with flavor—and then mop up the dressing with a crispy baguette. Smoked mackerel is great to have in the fridge because it’s quick, inexpensive, and high in protein.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
- Total Time: 20 Minutes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1¼ lb (550g) new potatoes, well scrubbed and chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 7 oz (200g) hot-smoked mackerel fillets, skinned
- 2 oz (60g) baby salad leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped dill
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 7 7oz (200g) cooked beets (not in vinegar), roughly chopped
- baguette, to serve
For the dressing
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 tsp whole-grain mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
How to Make It
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the potato chunks and cook for 10–15 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, break the mackerel into bite-sized pieces, removing any bones you find as you go, and place in a large serving bowl. Add the salad leaves and herbs, and gently toss together.
- Place the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, season, and whisk together with a fork.
- Add the warm potatoes to the serving bowl, pour in the dressing, and stir gently. Add the beets and serve immediately with the baguette.