- Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 celery stick, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1–1½ Tbsp za’atar, plus extra to sprinkle
- 3 cups (700 ml) vegetable stock
- 14 oz (2 x 400 g) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- a good squeeze of lemon juice
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Chilli & Lemon Oil
- 1½ tsp crushed chilli flakes [red pepper flakes]
- 1 finely grated lemon zest
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
How to Make It
- Combine all the ingredients for the chilli & lemon oil in a small bowl and set aside to infuse while you make the soup.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan set over medium–low heat. Add the onion, celery and garlic and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until everything has softened.
- Add 1 Tbsp of the za’atar to the pan and cook for 1 minute, then add the vegetable stock and cannellini beans to the saucepan and turn the heat up to bring the liquid to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the beans are heated through. Blend with a stick blender, or transfer to a liquidizer and blitz until smooth. Season to taste with salt, pepper and a good squeeze of lemon juice. Taste and if you think it needs more za’atar, go ahead and add the last ½ Tbsp.
- Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and drizzle some of the oil over the top. Finish with a little sprinkling of za’atar and serve immediately this one doesn’t benefit from sitting around.