This side dish has it all: creamy avocado, tart orange, savory greens, zesty chutney, and crunchy toasted almonds. Serve as a salad or a side dish alongside a piece of grilled fish.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 3 bunches of red chard, stems and spines discarded
- Kosher or other salt
- Freshly black ground pepper
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large blood orange, zested and sectioned
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown rice or other vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mango or other store-bought chutney
- Handful of slivered almonds, toasted
How to Make It
- Steam or boil the chard leaves for 3 to 4 minutes, then plunge them into cold water. Gently squeeze as much moisture as possible from the chard. You should end up with a ball a little bigger than a baseball. Chop the chard on a cutting board, salt and pepper liberally, and divide into 4 equal portions. Make a small chard wreath on each of 4 plates and fill the middle with avocado pieces and orange sections, artfully arranged however you like.
- Put the olive oil, vinegar, chutney, and salt and pepper to taste into a jar and shake vigorously. Carefully drizzle everything with the dressing, using a light hand, then scatter the almonds and grated orange zest over them. Give each plate a final flick of salt and pepper.