- Yield: 35 cookies
- Scant ½ cup (100 g) organic granulated cane sugar
- ½ vanilla bean pod (with or without seeds still intact)
- ¾ pound (3 sticks) + 1 tablespoon (350 g) unsalted organic butter, chilled and cut into ½-inch (13 mm) chunks
- 3¼ cups (400 g) pastry flour
- 2/3 cup + ½ tablespoon (150 g) organic granulated cane sugar
- 1/3 cup (50 g) rice flour
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons (50 g) confectioners’ sugar
- Pinch of fine sea salt
How to Make It
- To make the vanilla sugar, place the sugar and vanilla bean in a food processor and grind to combine. Store in an airtight container.
- To make the cookie dough, combine all the dough ingredients in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Start the mixer on low speed to break down the butter with the sugar. Increase the speed to medium and continue to paddle the dough until the dough becomes crumbly and then begins to come together into a homogenous mixture.
- Divide and shape the dough into two equal square packs and wrap with plastic wrap. Chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C) convection and line a half sheet pan with parchment.
- To make shortbread drops, portion the dough into heaping 2-tablespoon balls. Roll the cookies in the vanilla sugar and place on the prepared half sheet pan, 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart.
- Bake the shortbread for 10 minutes. Then turn the pan and bake for an additional 2 to 6 minutes, until just golden around the edges and still very pale and snow white.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and dust with additional vanilla sugar.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the pan and then store in an airtight container at room temperature.